Outlooks on Toronto FC, MLS, and the Canadian National Teams

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Introduction to My Blog

Welcome to View From My Room, my foray as an university student and soccer fan into writing about Toronto FC, MLS, and the Canadian National Teams.  I’m the typical Canadian kid growing up in a small town playing hockey throughout my early childhood thinking soccer was only a sport that was played to stay active until hockey came back next fall.  But then one summer on July 11th, 2009 I’m scrolling through the guide on my TV and see Toronto FC at San Jose Earthquakes.

The only previous experiences I had with the MLS were seeing the headlines back in 2007 about David Beckham signing with the LA Galaxy and playing something like FIFA 04 and saw a league based in the US and choose a random team to play as.  Even with so little experience with the league I decide to check it out mainly because I was so surprised that Toronto had a professional soccer team and had never heard of it before.

I tune in and within the first 5 minutes Chad Barrett scores on his way to a brace and a 3-1 win for Toronto FC.  I tune in the next week and the next following this new found team all the way until the last game of the season that was on GolTV, a channel that I did not have yet, so I turn on my radio and listen to the broadcast of the Toronto FC vs. New York Red Bulls game.  All TFC had to do was beat the last place team in the league and they would make the playoffs for the 1st time in their 3 year existence.  But as we know TFC went on to lose 5-0 and still haven’t made the playoffs.  But I’m still here 3 1/2 seasons later having become a fan of the league and Canadian soccer overall,  starting this blog on the same day as four years ago when I watched my first TFC game.

Here on, View From My Room, I will be posting my thoughts about Toronto FC, MLS as a league overall, and the Canadian National Teams.  Each week on Tuesday I will post a standings update with an accompanying breakdown, and throughout the rest of the week I’ll write about other aspects of the North American game that interest me.

Thanks for checking this out, come back on Tuesday for my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment